Thursday, April 19, 2012

Child Labor

Authors note: This is a poem originally created for social studies on child labor, i am using it for both that and my goals.



We work and work without a break
To you it may just seem fake                          
Working every single hour
Leave us with no power
The minimum wage              
Commonly causes rage
Although it is a job
It makes us want to sob
Day to day I am so sore
But I still remain too poor
Day to day
I work for little pay
Night to night
I sleep with nobody in sight
Hunger drives me,
Nearly to insanity
While at work
It is prohibited of me to smirk
I know nothing other than this
Which leaves me with nothing left to miss
I live in the gutter
The rodents create quite a mutter
With little to eat
And nothing on my feet
All day I sew
But there is always more to go
All day I work on shoes
I have nothing left to lose
It is often that I am ill
But can’t afford a pill
While at the factory
I feel like a casualty
 For I know I will never be able to retire
Although is what I do desire
Every morning I go to work
Then I go home were rodents lurk
At night I am cold
While trying to sleep in mold
During the day I am so hot
I feel as though I will rot
I work all day on these balls,
Without a break or even a chance to use the stalls
My life is hardly worth a penny
Not unlike many
Day to day
Those I am around feel the same way
We work nonstop without a break
I wish it was my life that they’d take
I live in a house with five others
But none of them are my sisters or brothers
The way we live just seems fake
To those who wear what we make
We live by very strict rules
Those who disobey end up in blood pools
I sleep on a cement floor
And all that can prevent that is a war
I am treated like dirt
Worked, pushed, and hurt
It is often I go a while
Without sprouting a single smile
If we decide to fight back
We will receive a hard whack
In what I make I do take pride
That I am forced to hide
The games I wish to play
Will have to wait for another day
Ive heard that it isn’t like this other places
I wonder about those faces
Do they wear what we make?
Is their life a piece of cake?
I wonder who wears it
I wonder who it would fit
I wonder if they have it worse
Or if they are pulling money out of their purse
What kind of money do they earn?
And how much of it they burn
Do they know what we go through too
Is it ever hard for them too?
Are there other people like me?
If so I’d not like to see
My mind is overrun with this
I wish I could say goodbye to it with a kiss
It is all I see and all I know
It is all there is to show
I wonder what they live in
Do they put our products in a bin?
Is it crammed like my home?
Or is there plenty of room to roam
Do they live and sleep on concrete,
Do they have nothing to eat?
Or do they have more than they need
Driven by greed
I wonder what the children are given,
Do they walk to work or are the driven?
Are they allowed to have fun,
Instead of work nonstop in the hot sun.
Or maybe they all play a game,
While we sit here in shame
How do they sleep?
Alone or perhaps in a heap
Are they given a mat,
Or something much nicer than that.
Where do they eat?
Do they get to sit upon a seat?
We eat on the cold hard floor
With sewer waste and much more
We eat vegetables and rice
Luckily we can pay the price
I wonder if they receive a variety of food
Does what we receive seem crude?
Do they like the life they live,
Do they know how much we give?
I wonder if they go on trips
And have the privilege of words from their lips
I wonder if they get together
And are able to share gifts like a sweater
I’ve heard they have enough cash
To waste on getting rid of something as little as a rash
They have great power
All of them from nice to sour
A life like that would be nice
There is nothing I wouldn’t sacrifice
To step foot in their shoes
There is nothing that I would lose
I would feel so great
If that in fact was my fate
I would love my life
And would prevent it from being ended by anything even a knife
But it is always that I dread
That it is all just in my head
I hope others start to learn
And maybe even decide to take their turn
I wonder what they’d do if they could see
What is happening with me
Would they even dare to care?
Or would they ignore it
While we throw a fit
Would they give
Or look at it as a sieve
Would they even care
Or would they think of it as just some kind of nightmare
We do not deserve this
We deserve to be addressed as sir and miss
We do not chose to live this way
For we do not have any say
I never get to make my own decisions
And my head is always filled with many visions
Nobody deserves a life like mine
I’m sure that many would rather catch the swine
Child labor is not my choice
We have absolutely no voice
If we even seek power
It is us they will devour
We cannot do anything about it
Aside from just sit
A life here can’t compare to a life there
Here some don’t even care
They rather be dead
Then listen to many things that their boss has said
I’ve heard our home is compared to a dump
Away from here I want to jump
But I cannot do that
So I’ll just have to stay here with each mouse and rat
I’ve heard that goodness always will come
But that seems to not be the case for some
Sadly this is my story
And as you can see it doesn’t have a bit of glory
I have lived in constant misery
This is what child labor has done to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment